Monday, October 13, 2014

Gulliver's Travels...


   Hey Guys! I realize I haven't been on in like... forever. I've finally found one book that I have... strong opinions about... If I didn't have to read it for English I would have just stopped reading it. Actually, truth be told, I still haven't finished it but since I've turned in the paper and there's no test... I see no need to finish it.

                      Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
             Join Gulliver in his "travels" to distant lands. Meet the Lilliputians, figurine size people who are alarmed by how big Gulliver is. Pay a visit to Brobdingnag, where the rolls are flipped and the people are giants while Gulliver is about the size of a figurine. See a floating island whose inhabitants speak in terms of music and other symbols. Then end your travels by meeting the Houyhnhnms, horses endowed with reason.

    I can't even rate this, I hated it. If you like reading about boring politics and about how stuff isn't important to include, then be my guest and read the book. My thought going into this book was an interesting adventure book but when I started it, I became horribly disappointed. There was next to no action, barely any adventure, and it dragged. Sure that last one may have been the way my copy was printed... But this book was nothing like what every one told me. Every one loved it because they found it interesting or what ever their reasons were. I enjoyed the Jack Black movie better than this and it didn't even follow the book!

   I can pretty much tell you I'm not enjoying the books I'm reading for English and the list I have to pick from for my "independent reading project" every quarter. Majority of them are classics (some of which I've been wanting to read for a while) and the rest are fairly recent books. The worst part is Gulliver's Travels has ruined me wanting to read the books I want to that are on this list! UGG!!!! I should have started with the one I wanted to read the most instead of settling for what I thought was going to be the quickest. Well I'm going to go enjoy the beginning of my three week "read what ever I want that is interesting and good" period before I have to pick a new book from the list. Talk To You All Later! -Kaitlynn

1.) The Silent Stars go by by Dan Abnett
2.) Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth
3.) The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
4.) A Study in Silks and A Study in Darkness by Emma Jane Holloway
5.) Beautiful Chaos by Gary Russell
6.) The Stone Rose by Jacqueline Rayner
7.) The Osiris Curse: A Tweed and Nightingale Adventure by Paul Crilley
8.) The Shadowhunters Codex by Cassandra Clare
9.) The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
10.) Three by Kristen Simmons
11.) The Help by Kathryn Stockett
12.) Macbeth by William Shakespeare
13.)Atonement by Ian McEwan
14.) Rebel by Amy Tintera
15.) Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
16.) Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
17.) ACID by Emma Pass

No comments:

Post a Comment