Thursday, February 21, 2013

Article (Science)


    For science class I found this really interesting science article. I thought that you guys would be interested in it. I found it really neat. This isn't the real article, this is just my review on what it was about. I will put a link to the real article at the bottom of the review. I encourage you read to the real one. It was very well written and was very informational.

                Studying recent human evolution at the genetic level by Nicholas Wade

It is said the Asians may have a slightly different physical traits, the reason for this stems back about 35,000 years. One of the genes that cause this is EDAR, the stuff that provides instructions that make protein work together. Africans and Europeans carry a different version of the gene, A standard version. To test this gene and see if it was right the scientists used it on mice. To test this they found mice with similar strain of genes as Asians. After some time the mice grew up and the scientists found that they indeed had some of the traits the Asians had. But this all came with side effects, some had extra sweat glands, and another was that some had less breast tissue. Both are somewhat traits on Asians but not completely. One of the last traits would be their teeth, but the mice were not very help full at showing why Asians teeth are they way they are. The reason for this is because mice have different teeth than us making it rather difficult to see any similarities between both the mice and the Asians. All of this lead up to one question from Scientists what trait was the dominant figure for natural selection? Three different scientists argue different views on which trait was the dominant figure. A separate team says that it is all three traits and possibly more. To see if any of their views were right they decided to test a different gene on the mice.


http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/15/science/studying-recent-human-evolution-at-the-genetic-level.html

If the Link doesn't work can you tell me, so I can fix it. Other than that I would love to thank you all for 100 PAGE VIEWS! I never thought I would get that many. Also I won't be posting for a bit because of my schedule but I am going to Finnish The Friday Society  And after that I am going To  Read....... Well Just let you all ponder on what it could be. I am always taking suggestions for books i should read, and music i should listen to, Also if you have any questions See the rules on Question 1! I would love to answer All your questions! Oh I keep forgetting about my non-fiction book! Sorry I keep forgetting I have it almost done I just have to find a Video for it. WELL I need to get going got to pack to go off to state and pick up some medals! Or hard ware as some on our team call it. Well Talk To You All Later! -kaitlynn



No comments:

Post a Comment